Notre Dame High School, a Catholic High School in the Diocese of Trenton, seeks a
dynamic and student-centered educator to serve as Dean of Students.
The Dean of Students will work closely with the principal, assistant principals, school personnel, parents, and students to build and maintain a positive, safe school climate. The Dean of Students is a member of the Principal’s Administrative Team, and is supervised by the Principal and the Assistant Principal for Student Life.
This person is a highly visible community builder who embraces Mercy values, possesses strong interpersonal skills and espouses a growth mindset. Importantly, the candidate will help sustain a culture of belonging and inclusion by embracing diversity, service learning and supporting a mission-based advisory program. This person must have the ability to build positive relationships with students, staff, parents and community members, manage multiple priorities, understand school law, and possess excellent communication skills as constant communication with parents and guardians leads to a successful environment for all students.
The Dean of Students will:
- Build positive relationships with students, staff, parents and community members.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with key stakeholders through a variety of channels.
- Provide leadership for behavior management and student supervision.
- Implement a student-centered philosophy of discipline that administers discipline in a fair, and respectful manner consistent with the student handbook.
- Facilitate the resolution of conflict.
- Manage and enforce school behavioral expectations, including attendance and discipline policies as outlined in the student handbook.
- Provide workshops and serve as a resource to staff regarding student management issues.
- Monitor of students on Discipline Probation.
- Attend Student Personnel Committee meetings.
- Conduct and plan Discipline Board meetings.
- Implement all detentions including assignment of staff.
- Collaborate with local police.
- Coordinate all Attendance Committee meetings.
- Provide supervision in the halls, parking lot, and cafeteria before/after and during school.
- Coordinate all lunch procedures and personnel.
- Confer with all of the bus companies concerning student behavior on buses.
- Coordinate the implementation of bus evacuation drills.
- Coordinate the assignment of student hall lockers.
- Assist with the organization and supervision of Student Activities including clubs, performing arts and athletics.
- Assist the principal and assistant principal in other duties as needed.
Personal characteristics necessary for the position include: energy and enthusiasm for all aspects of school life; warmth and a good sense of humor; patience and persistence; sense of curiosity and love of learning.
Education and Experience Requirements: Certified Educator who has successfully taught in a high school or middle school setting for a minimum of 5 years. Master’s degree in Educational Administration (Preferred)
Notre Dame’s Mission: Notre Dame High School, a ministry of the Diocese of Trenton, is a dynamic, diverse Catholic community dedicated to educating young women and men to realize their full potential through a faith-filled environment, a challenging college-preparatory program, extensive co-curricular activities and a commitment to citizenship and service in the community.
Notre Dame’s Vision: Notre Dame High School will be widely regarded as a Catholic educational community that develops leaders, scholars, athletes and artists who possess the knowledge, vision, skills, moral character and energetic spirit needed to serve our global society.
Benefits: Robust medical and dental insurance, vision insurance, flex spending account, 403b matching retirement plan, supplemental insurances including voluntary life, hospital insurance, wellness benefit, critical illness, additional life insurance and short-term disability coverage, financial support for graduate study, employee assistance program, Mercer County NJ teachers federal credit union, tuition reduction for faculty/staff children who attend ND High School, among others.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and statement of educational philosophy along with three professional references to Judy Duff, Administrative Assistant to the Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
A background and fingerprint report will be conducted and submitted to State authorities as required by law for all personnel working within a school environment. Must be willing to undergo Catholic Diocese VIRTUS certification.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Notre Dame High School affirms and supports equality of opportunity and treatment for all applicants for employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, age, disability, national origin, religion or other classifications protected by law (i.e. atypical heredity cellular or blood trait status, marital status, etc.). However, the diocese reserves the right to favor qualified employees who are Catholic and to require that all employees comply with Catholic moral teachings.