Monsignor Walter E. Nolan continues to bless the Notre Dame community with his generosity. He recently donated a new altar for our Chapel. On Sunday, March 31, we were blessed to have Bishop David M. O’Connell, C.M. celebrate Mass and perform The Order of Dedication of an Altar.
Joining the Bishop and concelebrating Mass were Msgr. Nolan, Fr. Dennis Apoldite, former ND Chaplain, and Fr. Jason Parzynski, our current Chaplain. The sacred ceremony performed prior to the Celebration of the Eucharist, included four steps: anointing the altar with chrism, making it a symbol of Christ; burning incense on the altar to signify Christ’s sacrifice; covering the altar to prepare for the Liturgy of the Eucharist and finally, the altar is lit by the candles to remind us Christ is a light in this world shining out in the church and through it in the whole human family.
Following Mass, Bishop O’Connell also blessed our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph statues as well as the altar votive candles which were donated by Fr. Apoldite. The Notre Dame family is very grateful to Bishop O’Connell, Msgr. Nolan and Fr. Apoldite. We would also like to thank Fr. Michael Hall and our altar servers who assisted with the Liturgy. Members of our Madrigal provided beautiful music and song for the celebration as well.
Many members of the Notre Dame faculty and administration as well as students and their families filled the Chapel. We are grateful for our faith-filled community.
Located on 100 beautiful acres in Central New Jersey, Notre Dame High School, founded in 1957, is a college preparatory school for grades 9 - 12, preparing young men and women for lives of purpose, built upon a foundation of Catholic faith, with a commitment to academics, co-curricular activities and service to others.