By Alena Bitonti, Senior Communications Intern
As Mr. Nate Webber completes his first season as Athletic Director, he commends our Irish athletes on their accomplishments.
“Each sport did a great job and had a very successful fall season,” he said in a recent interview. “I thoroughly enjoyed being at the games and supporting our Notre Dame coaches and students.”
The highlights of our fall season include:
- Boys Soccer had an undefeated season in their conference for the first time since 1984.
- Girls Volleyball won the first round of the NJSIAA Tournament for non-public group A.
- Football made it to the NJSIAA Tournament for non-public group A.
- Field Hockey made it to the semifinals of the Mercer County Tournament and the quarterfinal round of the NJSIAA Tournament for non-public South Jersey.
- The cheer team took first place in the Traditional Tumbling Division at the CVC cheer competition.
Starting at Notre Dame in August 2022, Webber couldn’t be happier in his new position. “I enjoy being a part of this community,” he said. “I love what Notre Dame stands for. Our framework follows the Mercy Core Values of Respect, Integrity, Justice, Compassion, and Service which are the foundation of our school. I try to implement these in everything our athletes do.”
When asked about his favorite sport, Mr. Webber says that he loves them all, especially the ones he hasn’t been able to play himself. However, he can’t help but show some favoritism towards basketball. Being a former player and coach, the sport has been prominent throughout his life. He even won a Guinness World Record for the most three-pointers in a 24-hour time period. Although a difficult challenge, he used it as an opportunity to share an important lesson about working hard to achieve your goals.
“The teachable moments are one of the best parts about being an Athletic Director. There are always lessons to be learned that students can take with them when they leave high school,” Webber explains. “I have always tried to get a message across about never quitting.”
We are blessed to have Mr. Webber at Notre Dame guiding our athletes to be the best versions of themselves.
Congratulations to all on a great fall season! We are looking forward to the winter!